Thursday, May 10, 2018

Memory refresh

Would you agree that personal memories increase in importance as you age?

I’m not saying past memories are more important than making new memories. It’s just that as you lose a memory you begin to hold on to the remaining ones tighter.

In my last post, Bits of Memory I listed “Blogging is useful for memories” as a blog benefit. This post will continue with that idea.




a memory of pulling a wagon



Once again my process of developing a post brings in additional ideas which modify my initial idea. I was just going to focus on one song, “Don't say you don't remember”. As I listened to the lyrics, my senior mind provided a different view of what “don’t remember” might mean.

Don't say you don't remember
I'll never love anyone else
If you say you don't remember
How can I go on living
(How can I go on living)
With myself?
When we meet you always call me "baby."
How could it be that you forgot my name?

I often complain about how easily I forget names. I’ve witness dementia wiping away the ability to recall a spouse’s name. My experience with dementia relates to my late father-in-law. The lost of his personality, good nature and eventually his identity was difficult to watch over time. A disease that destroys memories is torture.

My father-in-law could sing. I think my wife’s love of Frank Sinatra is related to her dad’s singing. (it might also relate to why she finds my singing so bad)

I’ve certainly had songs trigger memories but other things trigger them too. Smell is another trigger for me. Talking with siblings refreshes memories. Siblings can provide you the gift of a story about yourself that you don’t remember.

The sibling refresh of a memory happened to me this past week. Talking with my older sister on the phone (I sure hope future generations will realize the value of reminiscing over conversation. Reminiscing via text or blogging would not be as good) left me with a new story about my childhood.

She recalled putting me in the wagon and pulling me up to the grocery store to buy some items for mom. My job was to hold on to the bags of stuff. She said I did a good job. The store was about a half a mile away from our home. Listening to her tell the little story was a joy. I do remember the store and walking my route to go there over the years following those wagon rides.

There are many songs about remembering memories which with the suggesting of the youtube sidebar I offer you a small collection with links. My fondness for lyrics leaves me no choice but to drop some of their lyrics in this post.

Unforgettable

Unforgettable
That's what you are
Unforgettable
Tho' near or far

In my Life

There are places I remember
All my life, though some have changed.
Some forever, not for better.
And some have gone, and some remain.

Tears On My Pillow
You don't remember me, but I remember you
'Twas not so long ago, you broke my heart in two
Tears on my pillow, pain in my heart
Caused by you, you

Glory Days (note song starts after about a half minute of a construction worker??)

Glory days well they'll pass you by
Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye


Reflections of My Life
The changing of sunlight to moonlight
Reflections of my life
Oh how they fill my eyes
Oh yeah, the song I had originally thought would fill the post:



Well hopefully this music or idea will trigger a memory for you.


No comments:

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing